Tuesday 16 July 2013

Signalbox Safari - Dersingham

I have a liking for Signalboxes… I don't think there can be any other building that shouts 'RAILWAY!' quite as loudly as a signalbox and I try to photograph them wherever they crop up.

Dersingham signalbox-20130711Dersingham signalbox (Norfolk), 11/7/13

Dersingham was a station on the Lynn & Hunstanton Railway, half way between (funnily enough) King's Lynn and Hunstanton that opened in 1862 and although the line closed in 1969 most of the buildings have survived (relatively) intact.

The line became part of the Great Eastern Railway in 1890 and the signalbox, dating from 1891, is a GER 'type 7' now in use as a store for a builder's merchant (who kindly allowed me onto the site to take photographs).

I particularly like the way the building has been modified to suit its new role with removable panels at ground level allowing access to the former locking room.

No comments:

Post a Comment