Thursday 16 October 2014

From the (digital) archives - part 1

I've mentioned before that I tend to focus on the less 'mainstream' aspects of railways and I think that this particular post pretty much confirms that…

I'm trying to get my digital photographic archive in some sort of order at the moment and in doing so this image caught my eye.

Great Eastern Railway station seat from Yarmouth South Town, displayed at the NRM, 11/8/10Great Eastern Railway station seat from Yarmouth South Town, displayed at the NRM, 11/8/10

This is a Great Eastern Railway station seat from Yarmouth South Town station that was on display in the Station Hall at the National Railway Museum when I visited in 2010.

The station closed on 4 May 1970 and for more information I can do no better than point you in the direction of Nick Catford's Disused Stations website.

For hundreds of years Great Yarmouth was a major fishing port and the decoration on this seat reflects that: ropes, nets, fish and seashells all feature on the cast ends… Did the GER use this design anywhere else I wonder?

No comments:

Post a Comment